Contributed by – Saumya Shatakshi, Senior Nutritionist
Summer is synonymous to increasing temperature, sweaty days, hot winds and unbearable heat. Just the thought of stepping out of the house in the scorching sun can seem like the worst kind of torture. But, summer is not all bad as it also means lazy afternoons, summer vacations, good food and some wonderful cool drinks. Since, centuries we have been beating the awful heat with really amazing summer drinks. These drinks are glass full of freshness, taste and healthy goodness.
Do not lose your cool this summer rather find solace in the cool and refreshing summer drinks mentioned below. Let us ditch the soda drinks and revisit our rich past to learn the recipes of these incredible summer drinks.
This summer reconnect with your desi roots with aampanna, a raw mango drink full of tangy goodness and hint of spices. Aampanna is a common cooling drink in north Indian homes and is perfect to fight various summer ailments like dehydration, digestive problems and heat stroke. Full of Vitamin C, Vitamin A and Iron , it sure is a great way to stay cool.
- 2-3 raw mangoes (large)
- 2 tsp (or to taste)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp pepper powder
- Mint leaves
- Start with scraping the skin off the mangoes
- Make sure to wash the peeled mangoes properly with clean water
- Boil them for around 15-20 minutes
- Let the mangoes cool, now separate the pulp from the seed
- Add 4 cups of water, salt, cumin powder and pepper powder to the pulp
- Make sure to properly stir the pulpy mixture
- Add ice cubes or just keep the mixture in the refrigerator to cool
- Garnished with mint leaves and serve the tangy beverage
Saunf (fennel seeds) Sherbet
Saunf or fennel seeds are mostly used as after meal refreshment to help with the digestion process and also to cure bad breath. A natural coolant saunf is a storehouse to potassium, dietary fibres and antioxidants. It helps with abdominal pain, gas and bloating problems. Saunf sherbet is part of the rich Gujarati heritage and is loaded with healthy benefits.
- 1-2 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
- 2-3 cups of water
- 1 tsp Mishri or sugar
- Pinch of black salt
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Grind the fennel seeds to powder form
- Add the powder to the water
- Strain the mixture
- Add mishri or sugar to the drink as per your taste
- You can also add a pinch of black salt
- Put it in the refrigerator and serve when chilled
You can also soak the fennel seeds overnight and strain the water. Add honey as per your taste and have it as an early morning drink.
Chaanch or Mattha
A staple in all our homes during summers, chaanch is loved by all because of its amazing benefits. A great add on to your meals chaanch helps cure stomach reflux, acidity, dehydration and boosts the digestive process. Really easy to make the classic Indian buttermilk has low fat content and is a good source of protein, calcium, Vitamin B12 and potassium. A must for summer days chaanch indeed is a bliss.
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Blend yoghurt and dilute it with water as per your desire
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder and salt to it
- Garnish with mint leave to add more freshness
- Serve it at room temperature or chill it and serve later
Bael or wood apple sherbet is a really refreshing and healthy way to beat the awful summer heat. Full of nutritious goodness like iron, dietary fibre, protein, vitamin C and is a natural laxative. It helps boost our immune system, fight infections, respiratory disorders and piles, in short a glass of bael sherbet daily can act as shield against the summer ailments.
- 1 Bael fruit
- 3-4 cups water
- Take pulp of bael fruit and add water
- Strain it properly
- Have the healthy drink to rejuvenate yourself
Some people add sugar also, but it is advisable to drink Bael sherbet without sugar for best benefits.
Sattu (roasted gram flour) drink
Traditional energy drink really popular in Bihar is a great way to stay cool during summers. A perfect drink for a hot and sweaty summer day, sattu drink is a great source of energy booster that helps fight dehydration and removes toxins. Full of iron and magnesium it also helps to lose weight and really good for pregnant women and diabetics.
- 2 tsp Roasted gram flour
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Black salt
- 1 glass Water
- Mix all the ingredients together and give it a proper stir
- Garnish with mint leaves
- Add ice and serve the glasses full of health yumminess
A glass of shikanji is an instant booster that can help you re-energise even on the hottest summer days. Shikanji is nimbu pani with a tasty twist is home to several healthy benefits. It is really inexpensive and an excellent natural coolant that helps fight dehydration, digestion problems and is a nutrient booster.
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp of sugsr
- 1/2 tsp of black salt
- 1/2 jeera powder
- 1 glass of water
- Squeeze the lemon juice
- Add all the ingredients in the water
- Stir it properly and make sure that the sugar dissolves
- Add ice cubes to the mix
- Serve it and just chill
Watermelon is nature’s gift to us that makes scorching heat during summers bearable. A glass full of watermelon juice in breakfast can leave you and your stomach smiling the entire day. A storehouse to several health benefits watermelon has a high content of Vitamin C, magnesium, potassium. Watermelon is really good for kidney health, has anti-inflammatory effect, helps lose weight, fight cancer and really good for hair and skin.
- 4 cups cubed (seeded) watermelon flesh
- 3-4 large mint leaves
- Blend the cubed and seeded watermelon flesh with the fresh mint leaves to get a smooth mixture
- Add ice to this healthy drink and enjoy
Sparkling or detox water
Sparkling or detox water is the new, innovative and really smart way to detox on a daily basis. All of us know the importance of water and the need to drink enough water can not be emphasized enough. It is a great way to stay hydrated, lose weight and complete your daily quota of water.
- Slices of lemon
- Mint leaves
- Bits of grated ginger
- Fruits of your choice
- Add all the ingredients together
- Keep the bottle with you and keep sipping this healthy drink throughout the day
- You can reuse the detox mix twice or thrice
Another really healthy and an absolute favourite drink that needs no recognition. Thandai is an instant energizer that is house to several nutrient benefits and also help fight the summer heat. This cooling beverage is made of many magical ingredients which makes it a great way to stay ahead of summer ailments. It boosts immunity, improves digestion and helps keep the stomach cool.
- 4-5 pieces of cashews, almonds, raisins
- Pinch of poppy seeds
- 3-4 pieces of green cardamom
- 2-3 balls of black pepper
- 1 tsp of fennel seed
- Rose water
- Soak the seeds and dry fruits in a bowl of water for 5-6 hours
- Strain the dry fruit and seeds
- Give a nice grind the dry fruits and seeds until you get a smooth paste
- Add milk to the mix and stir properly
- Strain the mixture
- Add sugar as per your taste
- Also add rose water and garnish with saffron
- Refrigerate the mixture and serve once chilled
Panakam is a yummy summer drink from the incredible treasure of south Indian cuisine. A pure work of food science, panakam is an incredible mixture of some really healthy ingredients which makes it a magical potion to fight heat. It helps stay hydrated, with body pains, cold and cough, asthma, gastric problems and also acts an appetiser.
- 1 lt Water
- 50 grams jaggery
- 3 crushed cardamoms
- ½ teaspoon of dried ginger
- 1 lemon
- Add jaggery to water
- Make sure that the jaggery dissolves properly
- Add the crushed cardamom, dried ginger powder and lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Serve cold or at room temperature
- Garnish with mint leaves
These summer drinks are full of health and fresh goodness. Make sure to include these incredibly healthy drinks in your summer diet to beat the heat.
This post has already been read 186 times!