Contributed by- Saumya Shatakshi, Senior Nutritionist
Seeds are the very origin of life. These small kernels carry such amazing goodness inside them. Have we all not heard about the amazing benefits of eating healthy seeds daily? In the recent times seeds have received the very well deserved and long overdue attention. Including them in the daily diet as healthy, crunchy munchies is the best thing you can do for your health.
Seeds are full packed powerhouse of nutrients; rich in vitamins, zinc, potassium, calcium, omega 3 fatty acid etc. they are an amazing source of healthy benefits. Below are a list of 5 such amazing seeds and the health benefits they offer.
This healthy seed is brown in colour and has a crunchy covering. Flax seeds are considered as one of the healthiest and most nutritious food available to us. So, if you are eating flax seeds on a daily basis, start doing so. You can have flax seeds with your morning cereal, smoothies, yoghurt, salads, soups and you can also add the goodness of flax seeds to your baked goodies as well.
The health benefits of flax seeds
- Flaxseeds are rich source of fibre, omega 3 fatty acid, magnesium, protein etc.
- Flaxseeds are considered is good for diabetic patients
- They help manage blood pressure levels
- Flaxseeds have proved successful in reducing the risk of cancer
- These super seeds also help in reducing the bad cholesterol levels
- A good source of antioxidants
- Also aids in weight loss
- Help ease menstrual problems
The don’ts for flax seeds
- Never eat too much of flax seeds too fast, include them slowly in your diet
- Always drink enough water while consuming flaxseeds
- Overeating of flaxseeds can cause constipation, gas, bloating and diarrhoea in several cases
- Make sure to check for allergic reactions before you include flaxseeds in your diet
A great snacking option full of high nutrient value. The sunshiny yellow sunflower offers us health benefits in the form of it’s seeds. Sunflower seeds are really healthy with a long list of benefits.
The health benefits for sunflower seeds
- Rich source of protein, monosaturated fats, magnesium, vitamin E etc.
- Consumption of sunflower seeds reduces the risk of heart attack and boosts heart health
- Good in case of constipation
- Reduces inflammation in middle aged and older people
- Promotes healthy cholesterol levels in the body
- Also good for bone health due to high magnesium content
- Vitamin E in sunflower seeds is good for proper blood circulation and also good for hair health
- Great source of antioxidant
- Rich magnesium source also promotes healthy mood
- Sunflower seeds help increase the male libido
- Reduces the risk of stroke
The dietary don’ts for sunflower seeds
- Sunflower seeds are high on fats, thus eating too many sunflower seeds can cause unwanted weight gain
- Roasted and salted sunflower seeds have high sodium content, eating too many of salted sunflower seeds can lead to high blood pressure
- Sunflower seeds are rich in selenium, excess intake of sunflower seeds can increase the risk of diabetes
- Only regular overindulgence or excessive intake of sunflower seeds can cause these problems
Chia seed is another amazing super seed that offers a long list of health benefits. Chia seeds are really helpful in losing weight, good for heart health, managing diabetes etc. Chia seeds are huge benefits packed in small package, a must for your daily diet.
The health benefits for chia seeds
- Rich source of potassium, magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids, iron, protein, fibre etc.
- Chia seeds have high amount of antioxidants
- Chia seeds are really effective and helpful in reducing weight
- Helps in preventing heart problems and is good for a healthy heart
- Reduces the risk of diabetes
- It decreases the bad cholesterol levels and boosts the good cholesterol levels in the body, therefore is highly recommended
- Their high content of calcium, phosphorous, magnesium makes them really good for bone health
- Chia seeds help in reducing inflammation
- Good for people suffering from type 2 diabetes
The dietary don’ts for chia seeds
- Consumption of too many chia seeds at once can cause constipation, bloating, and abdominal pain
- Drink adequate water with chia seeds
- Although rare some people might have allergy with chia seeds which include vomiting, diarrhoea, itching of the lips and tongue etc.
Pumpkin seeds helps keep you healthy and fight diseases. Mostly, consumed in roasted form, pumpkin seeds are really healthy snacking option. You can always sprinkle some pumpkin seeds over your salads, cereals, soups and even explore a little and make your own pumpkin seed recipes.
The health benefits for pumpkin seeds
- Rich source of magnesium, zinc, omega3 fatty acid, iron, fibre, phosphorous etc.
- Pumpkin seeds have high content of antioxidants which helps in reducing inflammation and fight several diseases
- Pumpkin seeds also help reduces the risk of cancer
- High magnesium content makes it really good for healthy heart, reduces blood pressure, controls blood sugar levels and good for bone health
- High fibre content helps fight obesity
- Pumpkin seeds have high zinc content which helps boosts immune system
- Pumpkin seeds help cure post-menopausal problems
- Reduces the risk of diabetes
The dietary don’ts for pumpkin seeds
- Excess eating of pumpkin seeds can cause stomach problems like gas, diarrhoea, stomach ache, bloating
- Always check for allergies before you start consuming pumpkin seeds
Sesame seeds have always been part of the Indian kitchens. The sesame seeds are rolled up with warm jaggery and rolled up into balls of candied goodness. Also, used in various gourmet recipes sesame seeds are quite popular in the culinary world. Sesame seeds come in black and white colours, both kinds are really healthy.
The health benefits for sesame seeds
- Rich source of vitamin B, zinc, calcium, protein, omega 3 fatty acid etc.
- Sesame seeds are really good for heart health
- High calcium content makes it really good for bone health
- It helps in reducing inflammation
- Helps prevent diabetes
- Sesame seeds have been proved successful in curing anaemia
- They hold anti-cancerous properties and reduce the cancer risk
- Sesame seeds are really good for digestive system
- Helps in reducing the bad cholesterol levels
- Really good for hair and eyes
- Sesame seeds have been proved helpful in dealing with anxiety
The dietary don’ts for sesame seeds
- Intake of too many sesame seeds can cause weight gain
- It can also cause loose motion, stomach ache and constipation in several cases
- Many people can be allergic to sesame seeds, always check for your allergies
- Indulgence in intake of sesame seeds can also cause skin allergies like rash, skin irritation, itchiness, redness
- Pregnant women are not advised to consume sesame seeds in their first trimester, it can affect your foetus health
Ways to consume these super healthy seeds
The recommended amount of intake of these seeds include 5-10 grams or 2-3 teaspoons daily.
You can always go innovative with these super healthy seeds, you can include them in your diet in really interesting ways or incorporate them in several recipes.
- You can add the seeds with curd
- You can always go simple and have the roasted seeds with water
- Try sprinkling the seeds on your salads, fruits chats, it will add crunchy goodness to your daily healthy meals
- Just give them a mix with the fruits of your choice and have them as yummy shakes and smoothies
- You can also add these seeds with mouth fresheners for the refreshing healthiness
- You can soak chia seeds in water or milk overnight and have them
- You can sprinkle these yummy crunchiness on your morning cereal and give a healthy start to your day
Add, sprinkle, mix the healthy goodness of these healthy seeds. A must for your diet plan, start munching on them today.
This post has already been read 421 times!