Contributed by- Saumya Shatakshi, Senior Nutritionist
Eating healthy is the secret manta for good health. But, what about drinks? All of us indulge in various kinds of drinks throughout the day which is not always healthy for our body. The concept of healthy diet can not overlook the importance of daily drinks as they too play a significant role in building or breaking your health. Thus, it is important to put more thought in your drinks.
A hot steaming cup of tea or coffee in the morning and evening is a daily ritual for almost all us. These drinks are for sure packed with energy and taste that help you kick start your day. But are the most healthy choice? Most of us unknowingly become addicted to them and surviving a day without a cup of coffee or tea can seem impossible. As we all know that too much of caffeine can be really bad for health and can cause long term problems. So, next time you start sipping on your cup of coffee or tea, think twice.
There are several healthier alternative drinks available which are really easy to make and are also big on taste and health benefits. It is wiser to make a switch to these healthier drinks from the regular cups of addiction. Infact, these drinks can act as a refreshing change for the body and help in detoxifying the body.
Healthy Drinks Recipes
Some really interesting and healthier alternatives to everyday drinks have been listed below. So, make these amazing healthy drinks a part of your daily appetite and embrace health with them.
Sparkling or Detox water
Add some goodness to your day with healthy detox water, give a fresh start to your day with this yummy mix. Add few slices of lemon, oranges, mint leaves, fruits of your choice, and pieces of ginger in a bottle of water. You can add more water and use the detox mix twice or thrice, keep sipping on the drink packed with healthy goodness.
Detox Water Recipe
- 1 litre of drinking water
- 1 lemon, sliced properly
- Half grapefruit, sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- Handful mint leaves
- Grated Ginger
- Mix all of these contents in a large pitcher or bottle
- Add ice cubes if desired, or refrigerate for at least 2 hours before consuming the healthy goodness
Caution: Consume it within 24 hours before the ingredients turn soggy and the citrus gives off a strong taste. One can reuse the mix within 24 hours by adding more drinking water and giving the mix a nice shake before drinking.
Smoothies and Shakes
Blend fruit pulp of your choice like chickoo, mango, strawberry etc. with yogurt to get a glassful of yummy health or you can blend the fruit pulp with milk for shakes. Smoothies have yogurt as their base whereas shakes have milk as their base. So, the trick is to blend the choice of your fruit with either yogurt or milk to get your healthy smoothie or shake.
Add flax seeds, chia seeds, oats or museli in your smoothies and shakes and have yourself oaty smoothie or shake garnished with health. You can always reinvent by introducing a mix of fruits in the blend and having your very own glass of smoothie or shake goodness. These drinks are a really fun way to introduce the goodness of fruits and yogurt or milk and ditch your boring cups.
An old grandmother’s recipe which never loses its charm! Yes, old is gold is truly appropriate for this really old but healthy drink recipe. It is a great way to have the healthy goodness of milk with nuts. It helps in boosting the immunity and energy of the body. Specially good for old people & kids, it is also a great way to overcome the daily fuss of drinking milk.
All that is needed is to mix nuts like cashews, walnuts, raisins, cardamom powder, kesar in cold or hot milk as per your mood and enjoy the glass full of yumminess packed with healthy goodness. It is really good and recommended for winter months. So, do not think twice and get your glass of healthy nutmilk ready.
Let’s go a little spanish for the next drink. Gazpaccho or more commonly known as the summer drink is actually a great dish for summer evenings. A Spanish classic; gazpacho is a flavourful home to healthy nutrients. So, without extending the mystery anymore let us get to know gazpaccho a little better now.
The summer soup is made by grinding some juicy tomatoes with slices of cucumber and adding the choice of your vegetables with it. As per your taste bud add salt, pepper and sprinkle some spicy goodness on it. You can also garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve it cold. The summer soup is different from the other soups because gazpaccho is served cold, it is the best way to end a long hectic summer day.
Cold pressed juice
Cold pressed juices are the new trendy way to go healthy, a revolutionary and really smart way to have juices. Some really interesting recipes to make cold pressed juices at home are:
- Pineapple pear ginger mint– This combination of ginger and mint with fruits provides a cooling sensation to the skin and can help to treat minor burns, itching and skin irritations and also soothes digestive tract.
- Apple cinnamon– Apples are full of fiber, especially pectin, a soluble fiber which can help promote good digestive health and a sense of full belly which helps in weight loss. The cinnamon in this juice makes it a preferred option in winters.
- Green alkalizer– Green juice is a natural mineral and vitamin supplement that can be a powerful influence to a malnourished system. This healthy juice is highly recommended for winters as it will help you stay healthy.
- Citrus juice– Fresh citrus provides both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber can help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels which may help reduce the risk of heart disease. Citrus juices are a rich source of Vitamin C, fruits like oranges, amlas etc. boosts our immunity. Include these yummy citrus juices in your daily diet to fight infections and allergies.
Caution: The shelf life of cold pressed juices is 72 hours, always bear this in mind while having cold press juices.
This post has already been read 963 times!