Contributed by- Saumya Shatakshi, Senior Nutritionist
The love affair with dates has been continuing for ages. Fruit of the palm tree, dates continue delighting people around the globe. Do you remember having dates as kids? Who would have thought that those small, yummy pieces of fruit are actually a powerhouse of health benefits?
Dates are fun! Small, sweet, chewy goodness; everyone loves dates. And there are so many ways in which you can eat dates. Dried, fresh, as a snack, in several recipes; dates make food much better. All this added with amazing health benefits of dates make them really popular.
Now, that we are discussing the health benefits of dates, it is important to elaborate.
Health Benefits Of Dates
Dates are taste and health combined into one. The various health benefits are listed below, so let the countdown begin.
Dates are a natural source of laxative that helps deal with constipation. Dates have high fiber content that makes them a great choice for a healthier digestive process. Consequently helping in smooth bowel movement. The high levels of soluble fiber in dates absorb water which further hydrates the hardened feces in the colon, thus releasing the person from constipation.
Full Of Anti-oxidants
The high anti-oxidant content in dates makes it a great choice for boosting immunity and reducing the risk of several diseases. Dates are loaded with flavonoids, carotenoids and phenolic acid, these amazing anti-oxidants reduce inflammation and decrease the potential risk of diabetes and promote good heart health.
Helps In Weight Loss
Dates are rich in dietary fiber and fatty acids which help in weight loss by flushing out toxins from the body. It is a good option to relish something sweet without the fear of gaining extra calories. But, make sure to eat not more than 3-4 dates daily. This is how dates help with weight loss:
- Dates are a rich source of dietary fiber. Fiber slows down the absorption of food in the large intestine which in turn keeps you full for a longer time
- Dietary fiber also helps in the production of short-chain fatty acids in the gut which is good gut bacteria that ultimately helps boosts metabolism
- It traps fats which prevent fat absorption
Dates are comprised of simple sugar, mainly glucose and fructose. These provide an instant source of energy and also help in combating with a sudden drop in sugar level. Consuming a few dates before your workout helps you stay active and full of energy during the regime.
Controls Cholesterol Levels
Have dates daily to maintain a healthy cholesterol level. It helps reduce bad cholesterol or LDL and helps boost the good cholesterol or HDL level in the body. A few dates a day can keep cholesterol problems at bay. Do start including this nutritious fruit in your diet.
How To Add The Goodness Of Dates In Your Meals?
As we all know that our beloved dates can be utilized in various recipes and eaten in a lot of ways. Some interesting tips to enjoy dates in your daily meals are listed below, enjoy.
- Dates can be mixed with yogurt, oatmeal, and, other breakfast cereals. Give a healthy start to the day with dates
- Consume dates by adding them in milk or having dates with a glass of milk also helps with various digestive problems
- Deseed dates and stuff them with chopped almonds and walnuts. It’s all about giving a new twist to the traditional recipes
- Add dates in fruit salads, custard or other desserts or rice preparations
- Start replacing those unhealthy snacking options with dates; it helps keep your calorie intake in check and helps you feel satiated
So, do not think twice before starting your love affair with dates. Eat healthy and stay merry.
This post has already been read 2200 times!