Contributed by – Healthians Team
Testosterone also known as the male hormone is an androgen hormone that is responsible for the male characteristics of the body like muscle mass, fertility etc. It is produced in both males and females but is basically predominant in men. Testosterone is mainly produced:
- In men – testes
- In women – ovaries
- In both men and women – adrenal gland located above the kidneys
Testosterone is a male sex hormone that is vital for the sexual and reproductive development. Let us understand the important role that testosterone plays in men and how can it affect a male body and it’s functions.
Role In Men
Testosterone is the most important male hormone responsible for sexual characteristics and also act as the chemical trigger for necessary changes in a male body like:
- Responsible for the development of secondary sex characteristics during puberty like deepening of the voice, increase in the size of penis and testes, growth of facial and body hair
- It plays a major part in regulating the sex drive, sperm production
- Is also responsible for fat distribution
- Maintenance of muscle strength and body mass
- Also responsible for the aggressive behavior in men
Role In Women
Women testosterone levels are approximately tenth to a twentieth level as compared to men. They mainly contribute to:
- Women’s sexual drive
- Helps in the secretion of hormones during a women’s menstrual cycle
Symptoms Of Low level Of Testosterone
Low testosterone is the level of testosterone hormone much lower or below than the normal range. The common symptoms of low testosterone levels in men include:
- Erectile dysfunction or impotence
- Reduced sexual drive
- An increase in the breast size
- Low sperm count
- Hot flashes
- Depression, irritability and lack of concentration
- Soft or shrunken testes
- Loss of muscle mass
- Loss of hair
- Bone prone to fracture
What Causes Low Testosterone Levels?
The normal testosterone levels in men range from 300 -900 nanograms per deciliter(ng/dl). Low levels of testosterone is generally considered a regular part of aging but several other conditions that can effects testosterone levels are :
- Hormonal imbalance
- Testicular injury
- Infection like mumps
- Chronic liver or kidney disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Testicular cancer or its cancer
- Metabolic disorders
- Genetic cause
- Heart failure
- Excessive alcohol consumption
Diagnosis Of Low Testosterone
Testosterone is a hormone that boosts the sexual drive, sperm production, bone density and muscle mass in men. As men age, they start experiencing a decline in their sexual drive and can be due to several other factors. Low testosterone level can be diagnosis with the help of proper physical examination, examining symptoms and several blood tests as suggested by the doctor.
How To Treat Low Testosterone Levels?
The testosterone level management starts with managing a healthy diet and increased physical activity. It is absolutely essential to lose weight and prevent obesity. One can also opt for second line of treatment of testosterone therapy, such methods mainly includes:
- Skin patches
- Gel to be applied on the skin daily
- Mouth tablets
Note: One should feel improvement within 4-6 weeks after starting with the treatment.
Can Testosterone Cause Weight Gain?
It’s a myth, testosterone levels do not lead to weight gain. Infact, testosterone is an incredible boon for weight loss, it helps in losing fat and gaining more muscle mass. It ramps up the insulin insensitivity, maintains the metabolic health and can deliver all kinds of health benefits.
The Natural Ways To Boost Testosterone Levels
Is it really possible?
Yes, it is very much possible to boost the testosterone levels naturally, it’s no magic just some simple and really effective changes in daily lifestyle can bring the results. Some of them include:
- Regular exercising and weight lifting
- Adding enough protein, fat and carbs in the daily diet
- Minimizing the stress and cortisol levels
- Increasing the vitamin D intake by getting enough sunlight or taking supplements
- Taking vitamin and mineral supplements
- Getting plenty of rest and proper sleep
- Control your daily sugar intake
- Having foods rich in zinc like beans, nuts, whole grains etc. act as natural boosters
It is essential to take the steps to enhance the testosterone levels that can help in improving the health and body at the same time. A little care can make you go a long way.