Contributed by: Healthians Team
Raksha Bandhan is just around the corner, in fact just a few hours away from now. A day that marks and celebrates the eternal and pious bond between a brother and sister.
Being one of the most waited-for festivals in India, it’s no surprise that the day calls for a slew of delicacies, especially desserts.
We all love sweets! However, not all are able to taste these eclectic delicacies, especially the ones suffering from diabetes.
While being a diabetic doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to curb your taste buds, however, sweets are mostly a big NO!
When it comes to desserts on special occasions, people with diabetes generally have few alternatives, but a healthy ingredient change may make practically any treat diabetes-friendly. Using plenty of fruits, nuts, and natural sweeteners might help brighten up your celebration.
Having said that, today we bring to you a list of sugar-free desserts that are easy to make and above all, are diabetes-friendly to help you enjoy Raksha Bandhan without compromising on your taste buds.
So, without further ado, let’s dive in!
Apricot & Dates Barfi
- Dried apricot (400 gm)
- Dried Dates (100 gm)
- Almonds (200 gm)
- Oatmeal (100 gm)
- Coconut Flakes (50 gm)
- Use individual bowls to soak the apricots, almonds, and dates for 15 to 20 minutes
- Grind the dates and apricots together
- Drain the almonds separately and then add them to oatmeal by grinding them
- Add the ground dates and apricots to the oatmeal and mix them well.
- Add coconut flakes as a dressing for added flavour
- Cut this sugar-free mithai into desired shapes
Walnut Coconut Brownie
- Butter Unsalted (250 gm)
- Jaggery (300 gm)
- Whole eggs (200 gm)
- Melted chocolate (140 gm)
- Refined flour (120 gm)
- Chopped walnuts (220 gm)
- Mix the butter and jaggery at a moderately high speed until the batter becomes light and fluffy
- Slowly add the whole eggs
- Add the melted chocolate to the batter
- Add all the dry ingredients to the batter
- Pour the mixture into a lined cake ring mould
- Bake it for 30 minutes at 200 degrees
- Once cooled, cut the cake into desired shapes and microwave for 2 minutes
- Add vanilla ice cream and chocolate for added taste
Kaffir Lime Infused Baked Cheesecake w/ Fresh Exotic Fruits
For the biscuit base
- Fibre biscuits – 220 gm
- Unsalted butter – 140 gm
For the cheesecake mixture
- Refined flour – 35 gm
- Jaggery – 350 gm
- Sour Cream – 150 gm
- Cream Cheese – 450gm
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tbsp
- Eggs – 4 nos
- Kaffir Lemon Zest – 1 no
For the garnish
- Fruit jelly – 150g
- Fresh fruits – 300 gm
- Tempered Chocolate – 50 gm
- Break up the biscuits and whiz them in a food processor with melted butter until they produce a sand-like crumbly texture.
- Put the crumbled biscuit mixture into the prepared cake tin and press it firmly against the base and sides of the mould until it adheres nicely.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and flour till its smooth. Mix in the Kaffir lime zest, vanilla, sour cream, and jaggery.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating in between until well blended. To integrate air, do not overbeat.
- Bake for 1 hour at 325F in a cake pan lined with the biscuit mixture.
- The cake is done when it has formed a golden-brown crust with no cracks and jiggles slightly when the pan is shaken.
- Allow it to cool down at room temperature for 1 hour, then in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours, or until firm and non-jiggly.
- Demould it onto a tray or dish, cut, and top with freshly cut exotic fruits, edible flowers, and chocolate decorations of desired form and size.
Raksha Bandhan is a festival that has an emotional connection which is perhaps, greater than all others.
This makes it an occasion where sweets and desserts can not be ignored, no matter what,
These above-mentioned sugar-free sweets are the best treats for diabetics to make their Raksha Bandhan all the more amazing.
Furthermore, you should also frequently opt for diabetes screening. This health check can provide you with a comprehensive insight into the state of your condition and overall health, allowing you to take necessary precautions to stay at the top of your health.