Contributed by- Saumya Shatakshi, Senior Nutritionist
Does losing weight seem like an impossible job? Has the increasing load of clothes that don’t fit, diminishing self-confidence and being the butt of jokes become your everyday reality? The struggle of losing weight haunts most of us. And our busy schedules and unhealthy eating habits only adds to the misery. All of us live such busy lives that mere 24 hours of a day can seem like really little time to accomplish all that we want and our health often bears the brunt and gets ignored.
Health is most important and managing a healthy weight holds the key. Weight leads to tonnes of health issues and it is extremely necessary to do something to lose those extra kilos. With the busy schedules hitting gym or exercising daily can seem almost impossible. Well, it is time to stop worrying as there are some wonderfully surprising ways that can help us reduce weight by making some healthy changes in our lifestyle.
The solution lies in the simple answer of following a healthy lifestyle, let us read about the simple ways that can bring really impressive results.
The Do’s For Losing Weight
The journey to a healthier you starts with making some wise and healthy decisions. Embrace the below mentioned steps to start on your journey to a much healthier and happier you.
- Eat Balanced diet-A balanced diet consists of carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins, minerals and fibre. Carbohydrates are energy giving foods, proteins are building blocks of our body, and fats are thermo-regulator and also act as a cushion to the organs. Vitamins and minerals are storehouse of anti-oxidants, fibre is a huge source of roughage which helps in digestion and prevents constipation
- Early Morning water- Having cumin seeds water, fennel seeds water, green tea, cinnamon water etc. in the morning and bring really miraculous results as they aid in weight loss and boosts up our metabolism and also help in liver cleansing that improves digestion process.
- Be more active and set a realistic goals- Go for a brisk walk, jog, aerobics, yoga, cardio, swimming or any sports of your choice atleast for 30-45 min on a daily. It will help you lose weight as well as kick your metabolic rate and prevent from several health disorders like diabetes, hypertension, cardiac diseases
- Curb your cravings- Curb your cravings by opting healthy snacking options like roasted makhaana, chana, sprouts, salad, mixed roasted seeds, fresh fruits which will provide negative calories and boost the weight loss process
- Stay Hydrated– Drink atleast 12- 15 glasses of water throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated and will remove the toxins from body and also give a glowing and clear skin
How To Change Your Eating Habits?
The biggest hurdle faced by most people is bringing the change in their daily meals and keeping up with those changes. The key lies in making small and smart changes rather than starving yourself, start with the following steps:
- Keep check on your portion size to avoid over eating. Opting for a 1 meal dish like idli sambhar, whole wheat pasta, stir fry veggies, soups, grilled paneer tikka etc.are always a wise choice
- Read food labels to check the ingredients before buying and avoid foods that are high in salt, sugars, saturated and trans fats, sodium and calories. Sprouts, roasted chana, roasted seeds, dry fruits, fresh fruits can be used for snacking instead of fried foods
- Include a variety of healthy foods like whole-grains cereals, fresh fruits, nuts, lean meat, eggs, fish, low dairy products in your daily diet plan.
- Say no to carbonated drinks, instead opt for fresh juices full of healthy goodness
- Control alcohol consumption: If you do drink, try to avoid sugary mixers such as soft drink sodas, tonic water, canned juices (unless it is freshly squeezed). Limit the number of drinks as it usually accompanied with snacks hence adding additional calories
- Distribute your meals wisely into a 5 meals in a day plan; 3 major meals 2 small meals
- Detox yourself after the party/festive/ wedding season so as to get rid of problems like bloating and the added holiday weight. After the big night of celebration always make sure to have a fruit based breakfast the next day, a bowl of fresh fruits or smoothie helps to avoid bloating
- Instead of deep fried go for boiled, grilled and roasted as they are much healthier and packed with flavour
- Prefer home cooked food rather than processed or street food
- Always chew your food properly instead of swallowing. Chewing is a very important part of the whole digestion process so don’t forget to chew your food properly
- Avoid sugary indulgence like pastries, cakes, muffins, doughnuts which are full of calories
- Stay hydrated, drink atleast12-15 glasses of water in a day
- Eat a rainbow everyday, make sure to add colours to your plate, eat your greens, reds, whites, purples, and oranges because these coloured fruits and vegetables contain key chemicals and are packed with nutrients. They help avoid diseases, strengthen our immune system and keeps us in good shape
Home Remedies For Weight Loss
These wonderful home remedies are really helpful in losing weight and are really inexpensive. Below are some healthy drinks that help boost the weight loss process and achieve a better version of yourself.
The Morning Drinks
Try any of the below mentioned ways to kick-start your weight loss process every morning for atleast 15-20 days to experience the change in yourself. If the drink does not suit you or seems ineffective even after 20 days switch over to any of the other drinks. Experiment a little with these drinks and see what works best for you.
- Cumin seeds( zeera) water: Have 1tea spoon of roasted cumin seeds powder (bhuna zeera)with a glass of lukewarm water first thing in the morning
- Carom seeds (ajjwain) water: One tea spoon of carom seeds (ajjwain) with a glass of lukewarm water in the morning helps initiate the weight loss process
- Apple cider vinegar: Start your day with a mix of 1 tea spoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of lukewarm water
- Sparkling or detox water: In 750ml of water add slices of cucumber, watermelon, lemon,strawberries, mint leaves, ginger and other fruits of your choice. Drink this vita water throughout the day, it helps detoxify the toxins and keep you hydrated
- Turmeric (kacchihaldi) water: Add ½ spoon of haldi in a cup of lukewarm water and add 1 tsp of lemon juice to it. Have this mix in the morning, more preferred in winters and also helps avoid pimples
- Fenugreek (methi) seeds water: Soak 1 tsp of fenugreek (methi) in a glass of water overnight. Strain and have this drink on an empty stomach
- Fennel seeds (saunf) water: Soak 1-2 tea spoon of fennel (saunf) seeds overnight in a glass of water, strain and have the water the next day on an empty stomach. This drink is really beneficial for acid reflux patient
- Aloevera juice: Add 1-2 tsp of aloevera juice in a glass of water and drink it
- Cinnamon water: Soak 1 inch of cinnamon stick in a cup of water overnight. Strain and have the water on an empty stomach the other day
- Triphala water: Have 1 tea spoon of triphala powder with a glass of lukewarm water in the morning. This will help boost the digestive process and aid in weight loss
- Chia seeds: Have 1-2 tea spoon of chia seeds soaked in a glass of water overnight. Have the mix on an empty stomach in the morning
- Flaxseeds: Have 1-2 tea spoon of roasted flaxseeds with a glass of water in the morning
Any Time Drinks
You can have these refreshing and yummy drinks anytime during the day to add taste and goodness to your day and shed off those stubborn fats.
Roasted gram flour (sattu) drink: Add 2 tea spoon of roasted gram flour or sattu with 1 tea spoon of roasted cumin powder, squeeze of lemon juice, 1 tea spoon of black salt in a glass of water. Mix all the ingredients together and drink it anytime in a day
Wood Apple (bael) Sherbet: Mix the pulp of 1 whole wood apple (bael) fruit and 3-4 cups of water, strain it and drink. This amazing juice is full of health, aids in digestion process and prevents from heat stroke as well. Have aglass full of this healthy goodness anytime in a day
Follow these amazing healthy tips and start shedding the unwanted extra weight. Weight can lead to several health issues so deal with it today. By making a few healthy changes and incorporating some healthy ingredients in your daily routine you can defeat the demons of weight.
This post has already been read 526 times!